Wednesday, July 20, 2005

rebekah

Just finished Rebekah by Orson Scott Card last night. It is another of the novelizations of biblical stories that I have found myself into over the last year. No real quotes from this one. It was OK. Not as good as Card's other stuff (Ender Wiggins series and Alvin Maker series), but an interesting approach. Card is a Mormon so there are a couple of moments where that stream of theology enters into the conversation. The book is a pretty good picture of what her life could have been and in the end, Card provides an apologetic to place Rebekah and Jacob in a better light over their deceit toward Esau and Isaac. It's a plausible tack, but one that develops some issues when cast against a reading of the story from Genesis.
I'm not sure I'd recommend the book unless you are in to novelizations and interested in a decent picture of life in that period. I picked it up because of the title for obvious reasons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home