Sunday, July 31, 2005

don't eat this book


Don't Eat this Book by Morgan Spurlock


I have to start by saying I am a Spurlock fan. Loved Super Size Me and really liked his 30 Days series on Fx over the past six weeks. And I liked the book. It may be because I have heard so much of him over the last few weeks on TV, but I could hear him in my head almost like he was reading the book to me. A good combo of information, story, and snark. He rehashed a lot of things I've read in other places, but this book is a good entry into the whole "Food Politics" thing.
The focus is on three things.
1) Trashing MCD's (and worthily so)
2) Calling out how much kids are at risk and how much they are targeted.
3) Pointing the ultimate finger at personal responsibility. He doesn't say never eat meat again, there is just a call to be informed and smart and act. "Vote with your fork" is the title of the last chapter and it's a call to state how you feel food should be every time you choose to eat.

All in all, pretty much what I expected and good stuff.

Two quick stories from the book:
In 1999, a French farmer named Jose Bove led a group of farmers and activists in attacking a local McDonald's in the process of being constructed in his home town of Millau. tearing the building down with his tractor. p71

One of the funniest pop-star endorsements ever was announced in September 2004, when McDonald's signed the Olsen twins to promote Happy Meals in France. ... So Mary Kate came straight out of rehab for her eating disorder to be a spokesperson for Happy Meals. (Hey look, McDonald's just wants people to buy the Happy Meals. No one said anything about eating them). p 166
Just one quick fact:
Produce in the United States now travels an average of 1500 - 2000 miles from the farm to your table. p. 234
That's it from me for a couple of weeks. I'll have six to think through when I get back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home